Friday, December 5, 2014

Reservations



not for dinner that is...rather, about the people and/or the happenings in our lives.  We all have them, yet we all tend to overlook them, or find excuses to fill the reasons why that reservation should become a booking- something that we accept the terms to, and go forward with because we don't think there's a better option.  My question to this is, "why?"

I was speaking to one of my friends today that I haven't spoken to in a while, and I thank them not only for the motivation to write again (Thank you for telling me you miss my blog posts by the way!), but for placing this topic on the top of my mind because I really think it's relevant to many people in many different ways, men and women alike.  I'd like to take a deeper look at a very common place where one may have reservations, and interpret the possibility as to why one doesn't cancel the reservation and find a new place to eat, figuratively speaking.  

Relationships.  Oh boy, the beloved relationship that we all thirst and hunger for...We spend so much time and energy to find "the one" only to get with them and then have reservations about their existence (in our life), their loyalty, their honesty, their actions (or lack thereof), and the list goes on.  First, we need to trigger what's causing us to have such reservations about our significant other...

Are they just?  
"Trust your hunches.  They're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level." 
Dr. Joyce Brothers 

Are they accusations to make a negative situation in our head play out to be true?  
"When one person makes an accusation, check to be sure he himself is not the guilty one. Sometimes it is those whose case is weak who make the most clamour." 
Piers Anthony

Is there any evidence to make us think such things?  
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." 
David Hume

Or better yet, what's currently going on in our lives to make us question the existence of someone else in our lives?    
“In the wild struggle for existence, we want to have something that endures, and so we fill our minds with rubbish and facts, in the silly hope of keeping our place.” 
Oscar Wilde

Most times reservations are made, just like dinner reservations, with prior knowledge of something (for example, dinner reservations are made with knowledge of either a time, possible number of people, preference of seating, avoiding holiday traffic, etc).  Whether that something be something you know of another person personally, something you know of that person from previously, or something you know of yourself that the other person won't be able to conquer- Notice I didn't say "something you know of that person from what you've heard".  I say this to say that we all are going to have reservations about the things, or the people, that are happening in our lives and that it's important for us to not only acknowledge and address this- but to conquer it.  Once we are able to keep it real with ourselves as to what these reservations are, and why they exist, we are then able to overcome them.  Remember, your reservations may not always be right so take heed and approach with a whole heart and with caution- hence, the importance of really understanding where the reservations are coming from to begin with.  

There's always a possibility to cancel reservations, and make new ones at other locations...but ask yourself if there will be a different outcome or will the same thing occur?  Will that restaurant be any less full?  Will the food be any better?  Will the seats be any more comfortable?  Remember- the grass isn't always greener on the other side folks....rather, it's green where we water it.  

Choose a way, and stick with that way...whole hearted.

Deuces.



2 comments:

  1. Great post Lydia. Several excellent points that I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Too add in my own two cents, I believe that you're only able to get the most out of what something you invest a significant amount of time and effort into. I feel like that same thing can be applied not only to relationships but life as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! I just focused on the relationship here...the same can totally be applied in many facets of life! :-) I'm glad you like the post! THANKS!

      Delete